Solar: A Smart Investment for Increasing Property Values
With a growing trend toward cleaner and more efficient uses of energy, investing in solar is a great way to increase your property’s value. Solar energy is joining such upgrade trends as kitchen and bath renovations as selling points for homes. Standard grid-tied solar is a smart investment when it comes to saving money now and to securing a higher asking price later. Here are some helpful tips for making a solar investment work for you:
Obtain Pearl Home Solar Certification
Once you decide to go solar, consider obtaining a Pearl Solar Certification. Certification serves as official documentation attesting to a status or level of achievement in home efficiency. Pearl is a national firm that provides third-party certification for high-performing homes. The certification focuses on improvements that make homes healthy, comfortable, resilient, and energy-efficient.
This certification is highly regarded among industry professionals for several reasons:
1. Pearl is the only private certification firm to sponsor the Home Performance program with ENERGY STAR.
2. Other partnerships include the U.S. Department of Energy, the Building Performance Institute, the National Association of Realtors, the Appraisal Institute, and Efficiency First.
Obtaining a Pearl Home Solar Certification is a relatively easy process. Interested homeowners can take a pre-qualification survey that saves both them and Pearl time in evaluating eligibility. The survey typically includes the following types of questions:
- When the home was built
- The type of heating fuel in use
- Whether the home has a solar panel system
- Whether the home was built to a higher standard, like ENERGY STAR or HERS Index Score
Pearl’s primary focus are several key areas of the home, such as:
- The building shell
- Heating and cooling
- Electric baseload
- Home management
- Any current use of solar
Pearl Certification hasn’t reached all 50 states, however, the certification is available in the Mountain View Solar service area of Virginia, West Virginia, Maryland, and Pennsylvania. Mountain View Solar will include a Pearl certification upon request with new solar installations.
Having official documentation of your home as an energy-efficient place of comfort is attractive to homebuyers. Your Pearl Home Certification includes a letter for an appraiser that explains the tangible value of solar. The letter, along with the certification, gives you an advantage over non-certified homes. With proper marketing, homes with Pearl Certification can add 5 percent or more to a home’s sale price.
Include Solar in Your Home Upgrade Plans
Pearl anticipates certifying 10 percent of the U.S. housing stock by 2030. The need for certified homes points to the growing demand for more energy-efficient homes. Two studies by the Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory found that buyers will pay a premium for solar homes.
The studies discovered that homebuyers throughout the country are willing to pay a premium of about $15,000 for a home with an average-sized solar system. The studies also found that homes with solar panels sold faster than those without them.
What exactly is driving the demand? There are several key reasons for the growing interest in solar homeownership:
1. Lower monthly costs—Once a solar system is in place, harnessing the energy is free. Combining solar with electric (vs gas appliances) is an option and can result in costs savings with monthly electric bills. Overall, saving money is one of the top attractive benefits for purchasing a solar home.
2. Solar energy is clean energy—Many homebuyers shop for solar homes in order to avoid homes dependent upon fossil fuels. Coal, crude oil, and natural gas are all fossil fuels that have negative impacts on humans and the environment. Fossil fuels emit harmful toxins before and during burning. Solar energy is not only clean, but it is healthier for humans and safe for the environment.
3. A solar system is an investment—Purchasing the right home is an important decision and an investment in itself. While the average homeowner lives in the same home an average of 13 years, life is unpredictable. A job transfer or other changes may result in a need to relocate. Homebuyers who understand the current trends regarding solar know their purchase will pay off when it comes time to sell.
Roll solar into your mortgage or home equity line of credit
Considering refinancing your home or in the market for a new home? If so, it’s a great time to roll the cost of a new solar installation into the loan, making it cash positive on day 1. If refinancing isn’t in the cards, perhaps a home equity line of credit is. Borrowing against your own home equity to install a solar is a great way to boost the value of your home.
About Mountain View Solar
At Moutain View Solar, we provide superior solar service and installation throughout West Virginia, Virginia, Maryland, and Pennsylvania. Since 2009, we’ve helped both residential and commercial customers discover the savings and value of solar energy.
Learn more about our zero down financing by speaking with one of our friendly staff members today. There is no pressure and we offer free estimates to help guide your decision. From assistance choosing the right system for your needs to obtaining Pearl Solar Certification, our team can help you throughout the process.
A kitchen or bath remodel is a given when it comes to upgrading your home for the market. Consider adding solar to your list of upgrades in order to increase value and to reach potential buyers. Not only will you attract more buyers, but you will also save money—and help the environment—until the right buyer comes along.
Mountain View Solar invites you to complete a free online estimate form. It is the easy first step to learning more about how solar can benefit you. Owning property like a house is a big responsibility. Reducing monthly costs by going solar can leave you with a better budget for other important needs. Additionally, when the time comes to sell your home, you’ll be glad you invested in an energy-efficient system home buyers want.
Whether you are looking to save on your monthly energy bill, help the environment, invest in your property, or all three, contact us. Let us help you discover why solar is an attractive option for a more comfortable and healthier home. You’ll find the Mountain View Solar team helpful and knowledgeable. Explore your options today by reaching out for your free estimate. There’s no pressure or obligation.
Going solar is possible, affordable, and a smart investment. Increase your property value by contacting Mountain View Solar today.